RE: Writing tools: Quark, FrameMaker and others

Subject: RE: Writing tools: Quark, FrameMaker and others
From: Ron Sering <rsering -at- convera -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:09:16 -0800

Steve wrote:

"Hang in there. It gets better. Before long you hate it every time you have
to use Word for something."

Well, can't say that this has happened....I have never to post to a
discussion group just to figure out how to do something in Word. I can
always figure it out, or use their decent Help. Framemaker help is topic
based, not task-based, and is not very helpful at all.

Yeah, the interface could use a makeover, but once you get use to it you'll
find it far superior to Word...."

Well, I don't want to get this particular Holy War started again, but I
think the awkwardness of the interface and lack of features such as click
and drag correction (?!?!!) just about perfectly balances out its
file-handling capabilities. I use it for this latter feature, and because
the other offices in my company use it, but IMHO it's no better than any
other DTP package on the PC. Based on both ease of use and power, Quark on
the Mac is the best I've seen.

Now, I am getting the 6.0 upgrade, so we'll see what it offers, but Frame
still leaves something to be desired....