Re: Writing tools: Quark, FrameMaker and others

Subject: Re: Writing tools: Quark, FrameMaker and others
From: Sybille Sterk <sybille -at- wowfabgroovy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 09:45:36 +0000

At 22:37 06/03/2001, you wrote:

I've just started to get acquainted with FrameMaker (coming from Word 2000) and find FrameMaker very awkward and difficult to use. In my humble opinion, it is not very intuitive and the learning curve is very steep indeed! An additional problem is the documentation that, again im my humble opinion, is utter crap! There are no straightforward tutorials, there is not straightforward information at all, everything is kept very general and there are no detailed instructions on how to do certain things, e.g. how to change a template. For example, coming from Word, I expected the templates to have a different extension, but they don't have one, they're just documents... At the moment I am not a very happy bunny and have to force myself to go back to learning FrameMaker every morning. :-(

I've never used Quark for any length of time, but I wasn't too impressed with that either... At the moment I wish MacroMedia would bring out a DTP program, because their programs are usually brilliantly documented and don't have as many bugs as Microsoft products. In addition, they look and feel "up-to-date", something that can't really be said about FrameMaker or Quark.

Word's fine, if your documents aren't too long and if you don't want cross references between different "books" or manuals and as long as you don't want to create "clean" HTML from it. I am used to its quirks and they usually don't shock me any more. I've probably just learned to live with them, and I even use Word to create manuals with 200+ pages. Word also has the advantage that everybody can review your documents easily - however, you can easily use Adobe Distiller to create PDF files for reviewing. That's what I do anyway, if I don't want people to make changes in the document itself.

Hope this helps,

Sybille
Sybille Sterk
Email: sybille -at- wowfabgroovy -dot- net
Web Site: www.wowfabgroovy.net
"This writing business. Pencils and what-not.
Over-rated, if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it." -- Eeyore