Re: Managing the multitudes

Subject: Re: Managing the multitudes
From: Chantel Brathwaite <cnbrath -at- cbel -dot- cit -dot- nih -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 18:22:02 -0500

Kevin,

I missed your original email so I'm answering you according to Lydia's summary:

> Kevin asked for a system of categorizing and accessing emails, memos,
> product notes, etc. that are part of his company's system of providing
> information to the project team and to the writers.

I've worked for companies where we've had the system admins set up project
directories on a shared drive. The latest copy of the project document is there
and this shared drive is backed up daily. Also on the shared drive, in each
project directory, there are subdirectories that hold info like memos, product
notes, meeting minutes, last archived doc, outline, delivery transmittals, etc.
I also try to maintain a high-level "project summary document" that has a
running log of what has happened to the document. (I try to update this
whenever I deliver the document to the customer. It has things like where the
document is stored, what where the major updates, what are the outstanding TBDs,
when it was delivered etc. I like to update it at the end of the project -- a
good way to wrap up loose ends.) If you go the project directory route, some
people could be given read only access, others read/write/execute, and so on
(I'm thinking about access in UNIX terms, not sure if this is possible in the
Windows world.)

In terms of email, I'm not sure, but doesn't Outlook allow shared folders
(directories)? If so, you can probably do something similar -- then when a
person gets a pertinent email they can place it in the folder -- a new writer
can then access it and get up to speed. I also know people who simply keep a
paper copy of all emails and hand it off when necessary.

Chantel