Re: Value of Certification

Subject: Re: Value of Certification
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 12:02:57 -0800

"Cook, Jenise" wrote:

> If I would feel great by getting a vendor's certification in ProductB,
> [e.g., ACE in FrameMaker], I would do it for me. Not for an employer. Just
> for me. Same for a technical writing certificate. If I would really like to
> get one, for me, I will do that.

[snip]

> Am I alone in this feeling about certifications?

No, not alone. I've taken a good number of courses for their own
sake. And, like you, I've take courses for the sake of the teacher.
But, then, I'm one of those social outcasts who cling to the liberal
idea of education. I think that learning is good in in itself, and I
have a lively curiosity.

However, I think that if everyone who feels the same way were to get
together, we could use a very small phone book for the meeting.

The majority of people have a ruthlessly practical approach to
education. Once they've achieved their goal - employment or a
promotion - only a handful will continue to take courses out of a
genuine interest. When I was teaching at universities and colleges,
the number of people who breathed a sigh of relief as they graduated
always used to sadden me. Such people are poorer for their
attitudes. And the saddest thing of all is that they may never know
what they've missed.

--
Bruce Byfield 317.833.0313 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com
Director of Marketing and Communications,

"You go to bed at ten 'cuz you've nothing else to do,
And every time that I eat vegetables, it makes me think of you."
-Attila the Stockbroker