RE: Technical Test

Subject: RE: Technical Test
From: Alan -dot- Miller -at- prometric -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 11:57:59 -0500

Donn wrote:

<snip>
<<The situation Andrew sets up with his interview "test" reflects a
real-world situation. Just as the large mechanic was rejected for the
position because he was unable to meet a job requirement (not being able to
fit through the man-hole opening), so too can a potential candidate be
rejected for a position because "can-do" attitude is a "skill" that person
may have failed to demonstrate with Andrew's test. Most of us are faced
with working on projects from time to time where perhaps the technical
knowledge requirements may be overwhelming, but we dive in anyway because
we have the job requirement of "proper attitude.">>

I agree completely. The job interview must reflect the skills, knowledge,
and abilities needed for the job. For the sake of consistency and for
protection, I contend that these should be clearly defined and documented
somewhere. Nothing fancy. Not a process :-{). Just a good-faith effort to
be fair. AKA CYA.

<<I find it difficult to believe that Andrew would have a hard time
defending in court his right to hire or reject candidates according to his
clearly defined job requirements. In fact, the very act of a rejected
candidate suing him for discrimination proves Andrew's case before even
stepping into a courtroom!!>>

What would make it difficult for Andrew is, as he wrote earlier, he doesn't
write the test down. He just does it. (No apologies to Nike.) That, it
seems to me, would complicate his case. We're in the business of
documenting stuff, why not this as well? (Yeah, I know--the Cobbler's
Children.)

<<Ah, life is nothing but a journey through a litigious landscape...why
couldn't it be more like Fantasy (or is that Temptation) Island?>>

Why the answer is 42, of course.

Regards,
Al Miller
Chief Documentation Curmudgeon