Re: Time estimates and getting credit?

Subject: Re: Time estimates and getting credit?
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:20:11 -0800

The writer who complained that she had to share credit for a proposal with a
team leader wondered if she was being too selfish. Be glad that the manager
involved gave credit to anybody for this estimate! In most situations I've
seen, nobody gets credit for the proposal - the only place anyone gets credit is
when the project is finished. The proposal is usually assumed to be generated
by "the team," whatever that is, in the hope that said team will get the
privilege of implementing the project. Where there is a name associated with
the proposal, it's usually the head of the group that will make it all happen.
Thus if you were to follow the norm that I've seen, neither the team leader nor
the writer would be mentioned anywhere in the proposal, and only the manager's
name would appear.

Contrary to what Geoff Hart said about letting management know what you've done,
in my experience management regards statements like these as self-aggrandizing
and evidence that the person is not much of a team player. That tends to put
your name high on a list of people to get cut next time there's a layoff.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems