RE: SN Not Valid: A Non-Fiction Novella Chapter 2 by Emily Berk

Subject: RE: SN Not Valid: A Non-Fiction Novella Chapter 2 by Emily Berk
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 13:07:51 -0500

Cool. Glad you got the fix. Install Linux? You know FrameMaker development
for Linux was halted? Don't you?

As an aside, I had a chance while working for a software company to make a
recommendation about serial numbers. I learned the company was creating a
new s/n scheme for a new release. I was not asked, but I suggested that
lowercase L, uppercase I, the letter O, the number 1, and the number 0, not
be used . . . or, at least, if they were, that they be used in all numeric
or all alphabetic sections of the s/n. Now, I was not trying to limit the
number of alphanumeric serial numbers available but was trying to resolve
s/n support issues.

When they were issued, the s/ns went out with a nice mix of 1s, ls, Is, Os,
and 0s. You see, apparently it was "unavoidable" to use these particular
alphanumerics (who knows, it was very Dilbertian). The funny thing was that
the prime mover in setting these codes was the lead support engineer . . .
who had to suffer tech support calls about mis-typed s/ns for quite a while
to follow . . .. Years and companies later, I still laugh at him (and, now,
you can, too).

Cheers,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com