Youth vs. Experience

Subject: Youth vs. Experience
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:20:47 -0800 (PST)

Does youth = creativity?

No, of course not. We all know that.

The real question is: which is better youthful energy or seasoned experience.

As with all things small and fuzzy, it depends.

It depends on willingness to learn and solve problems.

Youth has its advantages. The young often are willing and open to absorb new
information. Youth also can bring inspiration to projects to try new and
interesting things.

Experience, brings, well, experience. Its very nice to have a person who knows
their stuff and can get the job done without a lot management.

However, youth often means more management, guidance, and frustration.
Inexperienced people need direction. Experienced people need more money and
ego-room.

Personally, I believe it all boils down to attitude. When I look at a person
the one thing I am most interested in is their attitude toward things. How a
person handles them self in the face of problems says a lot about that person.
Many "experienced" people are bitter and nasty. They think they know everything
and deserve instant respect and admiration. Likewise, plenty of "youthful"
people are flipping twits who want to party and screw-off all the time.

The dividing line for me is always how a person handles a complex or ambiguous
problem. Like the technical test - how you respond is as much the issue as
getting the answer correct. Some people deal with ambiguity well, some don't.
In my experience, the better a person deals with ambiguity, the better tech
writer they are.

Ultimately, all things are ambiguous requiring a writer who can sort out the
chaos from the content and make the absurd comprehensible.

The ground is moving!

Andrew Plato
Quaking in Portland, Oregon.

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/