HTML Help: conventions for links

Subject: HTML Help: conventions for links
From: Leanne Tremblay <ltremblay -at- telus -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 16:29:39 -0800

Hello!

I am currently developing a style guide for an HTML help system. I am
looking for feedback and opinions on the consistent treatment of links.

For example:

For links embedded in procedures, I have seen "Tell me about XYZ" or
"How do I XYZ" on a separate line (indented no number) after the step.
In other cases, the link is part of the step.

If you have any comments on the following topics, I'd love to hear from
you!

- Links embedded in procedures
- Links embedded in paragraph text
- Headings for links, such as Related Topics, Tell Me About...
- Lead-ins for links, such as "see XYZ"
- Locations for links (at the bottom or top of the topic, or embedded in
topic text)

Regards

Leanne Tremblay
Tech Pubs, Redback Networks