Re: International Org Classification

Subject: Re: International Org Classification
From: "W words" <wongword -at- ozemail -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 09:32:54 +1100

Dear Kelly

Yes there certainly is a standard classification of organisations. I am more
familiar with the Australian/NZ edition but this is based on the
international one.

I believe the international one is (well it was) called ISIC
International Standard Industrial Classification. It covers every poasible
organisation. Would the UN site have this

I suggest you go to the web site of the main American/British/Australian
statistical bodies. They may refer you to the international one.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics is at www.abs.gov.au From memory their
page on classifications is a bit hidden but it is there. I think the whole
classification is on line. I think it is called ANZIC. I worked on
researching some classification many years ago when I worked for ABS. This
has 4 levels of classification and is something like 2914 where (just
guessing here) 29 indicates metal, 293 means nonferrous and 2914 means
fabrication. Most stats published in the public and private world in
Australi are based on this although this may not beobvious to the reader
because they don't say this directly.

You could use these classifications for metatagging values that meet the
Dublin thingo.

There are also classifications for occupations etc

Regards
Irene Wong