Re: IT Security Policy & Procedures Manual

Subject: Re: IT Security Policy & Procedures Manual
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:52:17 -0500

Merv,

This topic just came up today, coincidentally. If you are aiming for a comprehensive policy, you want to include an agreement/acknowledgment that all employees sign and that specifies proscribed behaviors.

The range of behaviors you have to address includes, but is not limited to:

What software it is permissible to install on a company-provided computer, along with related licensing issues

What the limits are on personal business that can be conducted (okay to check your personal email account? execute brokerage trades? read the news? do the books for a charity? for your spouse's home business? print wedding invitations? print business cards for your own home business?)

What the limits are on the use of the Internet for downloading and uploading (Napster? Porn? Hate literature?)

Personal responsibility for maintaining virus protection and not opening weird attachments

Personal responsibility for machine maintenance (defrag, archiving, ...)

Use of the company network for sending unsolicited email for personal or business purposes

Use of the company network for hacking into competitors' networks or conducting other illegal business activities

Circulating chain letters, bogus virus warnings, jokes (okay jokes, not-okay jokes) within or outside the company

Well, you get the idea. The list could go on, and not every company will treat every item with the same degree of sanction. Depends on your company culture, to some extent.

Dick