Tech communication in South Africa

Subject: Tech communication in South Africa
From: Marike de Vletter <Marikedv -at- prism -dot- co -dot- za>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:41:50 +0200

Jennifer wrote:

Hi all,

What is the tech communication scene like in South Africa, particularly
around Cape Town? Are there many opportunities and writers?
Cheers,
Jennifer

I am a technical author in Johannesburg, South Africa. I have been in the
field for just over two years now. I don't know about Cape Town, but in
Jhb technical communication jobs are spread very thinly. Which is sort of
strange, with most of the software houses' head offices in Jhb. My guess is
that South African companies are not big on technical communication yet. I
outgrew my previous company in Feb 2000, and only after looking about 3
months did I find a position that suited me. There were some opportunities
that I could've taken advantage of, but I was looking for first prize. The
company that employed me were looking for a junior developer that could do
documentation as well. The recruitment agency convinced them that they
actually needed a technical author. I am the first technical author here,
but I am sure I won't be the last as things are working out extremely well.

Good luck!
Marike