Re: Software development

Subject: Re: Software development
From: mpriestl -at- ca -dot- ibm -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 17:01:43 -0500

David Neeley writes:
>Rational
>Corporation was the major pioneer in the
>unified model, which they call the Rational
>Unified Model (RUP). To get an introduction
>to the concepts, look at
>http://www.rational.com/products/rup/index.jsp.
>
>I am now involved in learning the ways that
>techwriters can participate in these processes in
>a meaningful way. Later in the year, I plan to
>prepare an article on the subject.

Sounds good - you may want to read a paper I presented last year at
IPCC/SIGDOC: "A unified process for software and documentation development"
(co-authored with Mary Hunter Utt, with Rational Software at the time). It
addresses how to integrate the RUP with information development. There is
plenty of work left to do in that area, so I definitely encourage you to
write the article, but I'd also encourage you to read the paper first - it
may give you some ideas to start with or respond to.

I'll send you the paper off-line - if anyone else is interested, let me
know, and I'll send it to them too. I'd love to get a discussion going on
the RUP and doc development.

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- acm -dot- nosp -dot- am -dot- org
IBM Toronto Lab
Information Development