Page Number blues

Subject: Page Number blues
From: Paul Kent <pkent -at- Paradigm4 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:57:06 -0800

I'm running Office 2000 on an NT4.0 workstation, and am having trouble
getting my document to display correct page numbers. The trouble I'm
encountering occurs in a document template I'm trying to create. There are
multiple chapters in the document. Each chapter begins on an odd page, and
has different right and left pages.

The problem is that (in the Page Numbering dialog box) when I choose
Continue from previous section, the page numbering doesn't seem to function
properly. The only way I can get the page numbers to flow correctly is to
choose Start at and then specify the "correct" number.

I'm fairly certain that the cause of the problem is related to the large
number of section breaks I'm using. The column format for this manual uses
two columns for body text and 3rd and 4th level headings, and one column for
chapter starts, and 1st and 2nd level headings. To accomplish this flow,
I'm separating the 2-column format from the 1-column format with continuous
section breaks.

Past experience has warned me away from using a master document and a
separate document for each chapter. If master docs are the answer, I've got
some heavy selling to do. I'm establishing templates that other writers
will have to use, and resistance to master docs is strong. I've been
personally frustrated with trying to get them to work, and have found this
frustration to be nearly universal.

Does anyone have any experience sorting this kind of problem out?

Thanks
PK
J. Paul Kent
Technical Writer
Paradigm 4 Inc.
425-398-2228
mailto:pkent -at- paradigm4 -dot- com <mailto:pkent -at- paradigm4 -dot- com>