Top 10 Things I Wish I'd Know Before Going Independent

Subject: Top 10 Things I Wish I'd Know Before Going Independent
From: Kathryn Poe <ksmp -at- ursaminorservices -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:20:05 -0600

Folks,
In putting together info for a presentation to new and aspiring tech
writers, I began a list of the Top 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before
Going Independent. I'd like to help these kids from making some of the
same mistakes I did. I thought I'd use you guys as the resource you are!
What other things do you wish you had only known? What mistakes have you
made along the way- big or small?

For Example: LISTEN TO YOUR PEERS! This is my number one. I heard
warnings about staffing agencies and companies that had bad records
regarding payments. I was even told of one company who routinely sent
people on interviews where the fit was dreadful, lied to their
contractors about the assignments and promised situations they could not
deliver. I talked to them anyway thinking that people were
exaggerating. The day I went to sign the contract for my very first gig
they told me that one was gone but here was another almost just like it.
This other job was only 45 minutes further away for less money but just
the same. Can you say bait and switch? I've come a long way since
then.

So, give me you list items or horror stories! What did you learn? I
will post the final Top 10 list if there is any interest.

You can respond to the list or to me personally at
kpoe -at- ursaminorservices -dot- com

Thanks for Your Cooperation,
Kathryn Poe

--