RE: Word Help -- Page numbering in Word 2000

Subject: RE: Word Help -- Page numbering in Word 2000
From: "Pitt, Julie" <julie -dot- pitt -at- digex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:08:51 -0500

Marsha Lofthouse's co-worker said:
<<I am using the page 'x of y' format in my footer, and as I stated above,
the numbering looks good onscreen (i.e., 1 of 24; 2 of 24; etc.). But when I
print, I get: 1 of 1; 2 of 2, etc.>>

Michele Marques mentioned my response and added her experience with the
issue:
<<Julie Pitt suggests toggling paragraph marks visible/hidden.

I don't know if that works, but for some strange reason I always found that
printing my document a second time (after printing with the error the first
time) always worked.>>

Me here again:
I found that to be true as well, and it even works if you send multiple
copies of the document in the same print job (the first copy will be
incorrectly numbered, the rest will be correctly numbered). But, if the
document's large, seems like a waste of paper and toner to print it twice
just to get a correct copy. And, you'll have to do this each time you open
the document to print it.

BTW, after I sent the message about toggling show/hide paragraphs to hide
non-printing characters, I encountered a document for which that solution
didn't work. But, when I printed it from Print Preview, the page numbers
printed correctly. Word is like that sometimes. . .

HTH

Julie

| Julie Pitt Digex, Inc. |
| ISO Implementation Coordinator One Digex Plaza |
| Digex Consulting Beltsville, MD 20705 |
| Julie -dot- Pitt -at- Digex -dot- com http://www.digex.com |