RE: Finding a good job title

Subject: RE: Finding a good job title
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 12:45:52 -0000

Marjory Bisset wrote:
>In the UK, the term technical author is far more common than technical
>writer - I don't know why. I prefer the term author - it seems to imply a
>bit more than simply getting the words down - has more authority <g>. A
>marketeer I used to know called us Technical Arthurs.

I prefer technical writer because no one, not even as a joke, tried to call
me a "Technical Writeress" .... but I've met my share of people who thought
it amusing to talk about a "Technical Authoress" (betraying their ignorance,
since Author derives from auteur, creator, and the act of creation is
neither female nor male...)

Allergic to 'ess' endings,

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.