Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 10:10:32 -0800

John Fleming wrote:

> Bruce, I'm going to have to keep your wisdom in mind a bit more, and
> create more of a psychological barrier.
>
> Unfortunately, I come from a family with a tendency to promote a
> certain amount of workaholism. It's too easy to hear my father
> berating me, and telling me about all the hours he was putting in.

One of the main reasons that I try to put a divider between my work
day and my free time is that I tend to be a workaholic myself. But
I've learned that I function better if I exercise regularly and only
do bursts of concentrated work in emergency situations. After about
48 hours per week, productivity goes way down for me, and, in my
experience, for other people, too. Not to mention, of course, the
fact that family tends to growl less. :-)

The division is especially important for me because I work with
Linux. For many Linux users, the field is as much a hobby as a
profession, so the dividing line between work and spare time can be
blurred.

> Maybe I should put together a wall poster of those words Jack
> Nicholson kept typing in the movie "The Shining." "All work and no
> play makes Jack a dull boy."

If you do, I trust that those around you will keep you away from
axes and re-runs of the Johnny Carson show. :-)

--
Bruce Byfield 317.833.0313 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com
Director of Marketing and Communications, Progeny Linux Systems

"Of course, few admitted, even to themselves, that they bore
responsibility for their plight. They preferred to see themselves as
victims, and, like victims everywhere, they found explanations that
exonerated themselves from blame."
-Mike Dash, "Tulipomania"