RE: Trademarks and nouns - how often?

Subject: RE: Trademarks and nouns - how often?
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 05:41:48 -0800

Christi Carew <ccarew -at- rangestar -dot- com> wrote:

> Some time ago, I posted a message about trademarks and when and how often
> you had to use the TM symbol. I noted that I had presented this question
> our legal guy. We've recently hired a new legal guy, and he actually
> responded. When I first posted the notes to this list, I received some
> requests to post the reply... which is what I'm doing now. =)

(*snip*)

For the manual I wrote for my last contract, I had to verify the names of
all products mentioned in the document, and the way they were to be used
(TM, R, etc.). For each of the companies/products mentioned, I went to
their web sites and looked for a "legal" page. These usually have the way
the company wishes to see its product mentioned in print, and how often
that TM/R symbol appears.

In the few instances I didn't find a legal page, I called the company and
asked. Everyone was pleased with the result (i.e., we didn't get sued).

Alas, I did miss one. The last writer on the project gave the program
name a "TM" symbol. Turned out the name wasn't registered --!

Ah, well. Another lesson learned.

--gdw

P.S.:

For the record, the symbols only appeared the first time I used the
product's name.

--gdw

"There's no problem that can't be solved by chocolate."
--Buffy