RE: Finding a good job title

Subject: RE: Finding a good job title
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 15:08:53 -0000

>All I know is what I read on the list :-). The way the topic keeps
>appearing on this list, it's worse than Dracula.

I didn't know Dracula was subbed to this list... I thought he was a tax
accountant. (You know, the kind of people who can get blood from... well,
anything.)

>Of course, as Connie says, some corporate cultures place more
>emphasis on job titles than others, so, in those environments,
>emphasis on job titles than others, so, in those environments
>everyone has the obsession to a degree. But, even then, I suspect
>that writers will have it worse than others.

I would have put it down to our being relentlessly fond of playing with
words. At least partially. In all of my jobs I've been called a technical
writer: in some of them, if I'd wanted to, I could have invented some
glowing title for myself. Had I been one degree more bored, I might have
done, just for the hell of it.

Documentation Manager
Online Help Designer
Information Organiser
Technical Communicator (I worked with a guy who called himself this)
Wise Word Expert
...wubble...

Fangs for the memories,

Jane Carnall
Call Me What You Want So Long As You Pay Me, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.