Re: Finding a good job title

Subject: Re: Finding a good job title
From: "Gerard (Collin) Falla" <gerardf -at- charter -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 18:56:39 -0900

on 2/3/01 3:38 PM, Bruce Byfield at bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com wrote:

> Tom Murrell wrote:
>>

>> But mostly *I* don't care what you call me as long as the checks are good and
>> the work is interesting. <g>
>>

> I agree. At my present position, I didn't get a title until the
> business cards were printed. I was too busy to care, too.
>
> It may be a mark of insecurity that tech writers seem to spend an
> inordinate amount of time worrying about their job titles. I don't
> hear many programmers (at least, not many good ones) becoming
> obsessive about titles. One programmer even identified himself as
> "code monkey" in his e-mail signature (I suggested that, in the same
> spirit, company officers should be indentified as "Alpha Male,
> Finance" and "Alpha Female, Operations," but, for some reason, the
> idea didn't take).

Well said, mate. I've been tech writing at my company for a year and a half
now, I've restructured their documentation completely etc etc - and this
last month, my official title was changed to read "technical writer". I
still have *no* idea what a "configuration analyst" truly is or does, but
that's what I was in all the organizational charts 'till now... ah well,
I've worked long and hard, am happy with my latest results and all that good
stuff. One recently hired new "junior" tech writer seems very hung up about
specifics of titles and other such ephemera; I don't get it. Pehaps too
little to do? (Were we to take Andrew seriously, we'd have to assume she was
average, I suppose.)

Collin Falla
Technical Writer
SAES Pure Gas