Looking for a program to help with a tedious job

Subject: Looking for a program to help with a tedious job
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 13:22:10 -0500

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a way to automate one of those ugly jobs we tech whirlers
sometimes get stuck with. Here's the scoop:

Corporate has decided that we must rename all of the figures in our entire
set of documents (imported by reference into FrameMaker 5.5.6 source files)
to conform to the corporate standard (so they can put all of our figures
into one huge database). It's not a question of *why* or *whether* we will
do it, and we can't convert to Frame 6.0. Because of budget constraints, we
can't spend a lot of money on it, either. And we are also on deadline for a
release. (Nothing new there!) We are working on Windows NT and Windows 2000
platforms.

OK, I've figured out how to rename all the source files with little pain.
The biggie is changing the names in the Frame source files. I am thinking in
terms of some kind of script that would open each file, search for the "old"
imported file name, replace that with the "new" imported file name, save and
close the file, go on to the next, etc., until it reached the end of the
book. I checked out "fmscript" in the Frame Help file, but that seems to be
a UNIX-only solution, and that's not acceptable here. We can handle DOS, if
necessary. I'm just trying to avoid doing all this by hand.

Can anyone suggest a tool, maybe shareware (?) that will do this?

Thanks,
Marguerite