RE: Ethics in Technical Communication

Subject: RE: Ethics in Technical Communication
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:23:41 -0600

This brings up an interesting issue that I recently came across. I'm in my
first semester working towards an M.A. in Technical Communication, and a
recent reading assignment in one of my textbooks has been bugging me.

In the article "Welcome to Cyberia" by M. Kadi (I don't have the original
source of the piece handy), the author starts with a quote about how
computer networks will change the world. This quote is attributed to
Scientific American magazine and dated 1994.

At the end of the article, Kadi reveals that the quote was really from 1954
and every place the phrase "computer network" appears it was originally
"television".

What bothers me about this is the (in my opinion) cheap trick that he pulled
of intentionally misquoted in the beginning. What is everybody else's take
on this?