TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
You received this message because you're a subscriber to
TECHWR-L. This ad posting is sent daily directly to all
list members to help underwrite the costs of the list (just
as ads in a newspaper, magazine, or journal underwrite the
costs of those publications).
In this posting, look for the following ...
* JOBS: Various locations, USA (NEW)
* JOB: Senior Technical Writer for Independent Thinker
* INFO AVAILABLE: TECHWR-L Site Articles & Recent List Discussions
* SEMINAR: The Technical Communication Revolution
* SEMINAR: JoAnn Hackos' Developing Standards for E-Communication
* JOB: CBT Developer in QUEST - Chicago
* ANNOUNCE: SnagIt & Camtasia to capture, edit, present
and at the end you'll find the concluding administrivia with
information about these ads and how to place your own.
JOB: Senior Technical Writer for Independent Thinker
FEI COMPANY, www.feicompany.com
Contact: Carol Walnum cwalnum -at- feico -dot- com, Technical Recruiter for this
Summary: Electron and transmission scanning microscope company with a
small technical publications group in our headquarters in Hillsboro,
Oregon. The specific position focuses on our internal customers in field
services, requires a very self sufficient individual and some travel to
Netherlands annually to coordinate electronic and print publications with
our counterparts in Philips. Strong compensation, benefits and ability to
grow one's experiences.
Technical Writer Job Description
Position: Senior Technical Writer-
Reports to: Technical Publications Supervisor
Position: Work autonomously with FEI product engineers, Philips
publications center and U.S. documentation publications to produce
scientific/technical documentation for the worldwide team of
FEI field service engineers to use. Autonomous work style prevails in
this job; teamwork is needed but fills less of the time.
* Work in partnership with FEI subject matter experts in the U.S. and The
Netherlands to obtain information, interviewing engineers and technicians.
May participate in peer editing process.
* Drive the process to research, write, edit, format, proofread and index
a variety of materials for publication.
* Meet twice yearly deadlines for print and electronic publications.
* Create graphics and flowcharts as necessary in a variety of drawing
* Coordinate documentation review process. Understand internal service
requirements, company products and basic information architecture
* B.A. or B.S. in Technical Writing, English, Engineering, or Scientific
* 6+ years experience in technical or scientific writing/editing for end
* Fluent English with strong writing and editing skills
* Proficiency with FrameMaker and MS Word.
* Proven ability to manage own projects for on time and on quality
delivery. Track record of effective verbal communication skills; ability
to work effectively in team and matrixed environment.
* Able and willing to travel domestically and internationally (estimated
Desired Additional Qualifications:
* Science/technical, engineering, service or field serve ability or
background in related
industries; background in writing software and/or hardware manuals.
* Familiarity with FIBs or SEMs or other complex hardware/software
semiconductor, medical research, materials management or data storage
* Graphic design and illustration skills
* Advanced use of FrameMaker conditional text conditions
* Familiarity with Windows NT, as well as a variety of database,
spreadsheet, and drawing
* Project management skills
The Technical Communication Revolution is an
intensive one-day seminar for people who are
passionate about their profession but dissatisfied
with their jobs. You will leave with a fresh set
of ideas, tools, and strategies for re-energizing
your career and maximizing your value.
The next seminar will be offered in Santa Clara,
California on March 9, 2001. For additional dates,
locations, and details:
Call: 970-282-1868 for a brochure
SEMINAR: JoAnn Hackos' Developing Standards for E-Communication
Do the electronic information systems you?ve created
look like they?ve been done by different people in
different organizations? Is there a consistent look and
feel to the information you are creating? Can users
predict where and how they are going to find information?
Does the information tell them how to do their work and
achieve their goals?
Plan to attend ?Developing Standards for E-Communication,?
an exceptional two-day workshop conducted by Dr. JoAnn
This seminar introduces you to a process for designing effective
electronic information standards. You'll learn how to identify user needs,
understand user goals, analyze user tasks, and put it all together in
coherent online standards. You'll learn how to develop a set of standards
for your organization and look at the results gained by organizations that
have done it right.
Workshop Title: Developing Standards for E-Communication
Dates: March 8-9, 2001
Time: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Host Company: STC, Phoenix Chapter
Registration: Register online at http://www.usabledesign.com/ or call in
your registration to Molly Sausaman at 303-234-0123.
ANNOUNCE: SnagIt & Camtasia to capture, edit, present
TechSmith's SnagIt and Camtasia software give you the power to
capture and edit anything you see on your PC screen, plus your
narration, and present it to anyone, anywhere! You won't find better
tools for creating effective training, tutorials, demos and more in
industry standard AVI and streaming media formats.
These resources are available at no cost to anyone, posters
or seekers, TECHWR-L subscribers or not. We encourage you to
regularly use these free services.
For jobs, announcements, and events that you specifically
want to be mailed directly to all 4900+ TECHWR-L subscribers
in the TECHWR-L Premium Daily Announcement, please contact Eric
(ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com) or submit your paid ad at http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/postad.html.