RE: Teleproductivity

Subject: RE: Teleproductivity
From: "Maggie Secara" <maggiros -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 11:12:19 -0800

That's it exactly. You're on salary, not an hourly wage. You don't owe the employer 8 hours, you owe them competant, finished work on time and under budget, clean, clear, and accurate. This Puritan reliance on an 8-hour metric is just a tool, frequently misapplied, bordering on an obsession.

Someone will inevitably say it isn't "fair" that they should have to work a full 8 hours, if I don't. Fair in what model? Life isn't math. (Is it fair that some people are better writers, or dancers, or auto mechanics, than others?) So accomplish what I do in the same time, and you can slide the other 2 hours too.

Oh dear, is that an attitude problem? Oh not again.

Maggie Secara

From: "Holder, Luanne" <Luanne_Holder -at- syntelinc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:34:14 -0500

I don't understand this magic number of 8 hours a day. If I'm more
productive at home and can complete my work in 6 hours instead of the 8
hours it would take me to complete the work at the office, why shouldn't I
just work 6 hours at home? For that matter, if I can complete the
responsibilities of my full-time job in 30 hours a week, why should I sit
around the office for another 10 hours a week?

[...]

Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp, producers of PDF 2001 Conference East, June 4-5, Baltimore/Washington D.C. area.