Fw: Affect and Effect

Subject: Fw: Affect and Effect
From: "Susan Guttman" <sguttman -at- semantix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 13:29:55 -0500

D'oh! That was one of those "clear in my head, muddy on the page" moments.

My thinking was: I effect a change, therefore "effect" acts upon; I am
affected by a change, therefore "affect" is acted upon.

A case of a trifle too much concision. ;D

(Believe it or not, I learned the difference between the two from an
after-school educational t.v program... who says channel-surfing is wasted
time! :)

S/B

Claudia Sutton gently chastised me in the following manner:

Susan Guttman wrote:
> > Effect" acts upon a thing, "affect" is the thing that is acted upon.>>

Just to clarify, it's the other way around.
To affect something is to act upon it. The effect you have is the result of
the action.