RE: Telecrastinating

Subject: RE: Telecrastinating
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:29:41 -0600

>Am I the only one who thinks that there has to be some middle ground??

To quote our future AG: "The only thing in the middle of the road are dead
possums and moderates."

It's a chicken and egg thing: Each side won't budge until the other gives
more than what they perceive is the minimum. I have sympathies with
Andrew's position over Rick's, because I don't beleive that a reward should
generally precede the behavior being rewarded. (Of course, you can always
cast Rick's position in the terms that a higher paycheck is the behavior
being rewarded by the worker, but that's a bit of a stretch, I'm afraid.)

Truthfully, both sides are exhibiting the selfsame attitude, a sure recipe
for mutual destruction.

My wife once worked for a guy who took Andrew's position even further to
the extreme (yes, there's more territory out there). He had a sign on his
wall, "They all lie." All, meaning customers *and* employees. Yes, you're
right; he's no longer in business.

And that should serve as a warning to both sides in this. See, you tend to
get precisely what you expect in your dealings with people. Oh, there are
exceptions to this, but generally if you're expecting the minimum from
somebody, you'll probably get it. So next time you're looking at getting
insufficient response from someone, examine your own self; it might be
*your* projected attitudes that are giving them permission to behave that
way.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224