RE: Monitor shutting off

Subject: RE: Monitor shutting off
From: "Hager, Harry (US - East Brunswick)" <hhager -at- dc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 07:30:12 -0800

Kimberly,

I had the same problem when I got a new PC and kept the old monitor. Our
tech support people (they know what they are doing) couldn't figure it out.
The option of changing graphics cards or doing other hardware changes were
not really on the table because it was a brand new PC. We assumed it was
some kind of monitor/video driver/graphics card incompatibilty problem.

After much fussing and fuming and several days of rebooting, we came up with
an EASY FIX that requires no hardware changes.

It's a fix that is good for Windows 95. If you have Windows 98, 2000, or ME,
adjust as necessary. Also, some of the tabs/buttons, etc. may vary according
to the video drivers and graphics card installed on your PC, so you may need
to look for comparable settings.

Here's the fix for Windows 95 (it's not as complex as this list looks):

1. Click Start in taskbar and select Settings / Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, select Display icon.
3. In Display Properties dialog box, select Settings tab.
4. In Settings tab, select the Advanced Properties button (near the bottom).
5. In the Advanced Display Properties dialog box, select Performance tab.
6. Examine the Hardware acceleration slider in the Graphics section.
7. If slider is in the Full position (all the way to the right), move it one
notch to the left. (Even if it's not all the way to the right, you might
want to move it one notch to the left.)
8. Click OKs on your way out of the tabs and dialog boxes.
9. Probably need to reboot or this procedure may ask you if you want to
reboot.

If this doesn't work, I can help no more.

Jim Hager
hhager -at- dc -dot- com