Word renumbering worries (WAS: Robo/Word problem

Subject: Word renumbering worries (WAS: Robo/Word problem
From: Amy Dohlman <amdohlman -at- uwalumni -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 31 Jan 2001 07:12:51 -0800

Hi Bill,

I?m sure you?ve already found the answer to your problem, but since this is a pretty common Word gotcha, I thought I?d post it to the list for others. Forgive my digest lag.

Bill?s having a problem with Word?s useful, but incredibly frustrating, autonumbering feature (see below). I think Sanjay?s given him a good solution that will work locally on that document, but I?m afraid that once Bill opens the document again, the bad numbering scheme will return (please, correct me if I?m wrong). At the very least, any other numbered documents Bill opens will suffer from the same problem. To turn off this feature for all of Word, do the following:

1. Go to Tools --> AutoCorrect
2. Click the "AutoFormat as You Type" tab
3. Uncheck the "Format beginning of list item like the one before it" box

This will turn off that feature until you turn it back on, thus preserving the numbering scheme already present in your documents.

Good luck!
Amy

Bill?s problem:
<snip>I'm using Robohelp and each topic has the typical 1-2-3 steps (I'm documenting computer software). When I go to edit the topic, Word keeps automatically renumbering each step in the whole document. That means that some topics that are at the end of the Word file have steps numbered 134, 135, etc. where I really want them to restart at the beginning of each topic, not the beginning of the Word document.</snip>