RE: Teleproductivity

Subject: RE: Teleproductivity
From: "Le Vie, DonaldX S" <donaldx -dot- s -dot- le -dot- vie -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 07:07:43 -0800

At the last company I worked for shut down their Austin office and laid off
everyone in the office (about 9 of us) but me. They told me that they were
going to find smaller executive office space for me and the Chief Technical
Officer (CTO), who was in town once a month for a few days. In the meantime,
they said, take home your office computer (a large Dell workstation and 21"
monitor) and you can work from there. I knew the "smaller executive office"
thing would never come to fruition, so I set things up at home.

I already had a home office with my own computer/printers/cable modem/zip
drive/etc. So, I set up shop in the master bedroom, where I could overlook
the pool and back yard. At first, I consistently had 40+ hours a week worth
of work. But after 4 or 5 weeks, I noticed that the volume of work was
begining to decrease. I noted this to my manager (the CTO based in Dallas),
and he said not to worry about it; that there would be volumes of work
coming my way (all types of specs and e-business proposals to write).

When I got to the point where I logged about 25 hours two weeks in a row
(but drawing a paycheck for 40 hours), I decided to give notice because it
wasn't fair to them or me (this is the same company that used employees'
401K contributions to float the company for 3 months--without the employees
knowing about it). The problem was that the CTO though a brilliant
individual, wasn't a very good manager and let my repeated requests/warnings
for more work fall through the cracks.

Tom's point is well taken...I had clear objectives and milestones, but the
people I depended on to provide me with the work to meet those milestones
weren't coming through. And Tom's right about such management attention in
the office as well. The CTO was equally impotent as a manager when there was
an office. I didn't report to him prior to the office shutdown, but I was
hoping things would change as a direct report. They didn't.

Donn Le Vie