RE: word 98 text phoenix (the text that won't go away)

Subject: RE: word 98 text phoenix (the text that won't go away)
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:05:01 -0500

Jeff Morris reports: <<Using Word 98 for Mac (Power Mac G3, OS 8.5), I find
text I have previously deleted (not cut, cmd-X, or copied) reappearing
sporadically as a new text insert, either at a point or in place of text
selection when replacing text. It doesn't happen every time or under
specific conditions. Deleted text that reappears may be anything from a
single word to an entire paragraph. Sometimes the text reappears in its
original location. I'm using the "track changes" tool (but with on-screen
highlighing toggled off), and have set edit preferences "typing replaces
selection," "drag-and-drop text
editing," and "use smart cut and paste." How can I stop this unwanted text
from returning?>>

Intermittent problems are a pain to troubleshoot. First, I assume that
you've turned off "Fast save" in the preferences (Save tab); if not, do so
immediately, then resave the file under another name to clean up any
creeping corruption that has occurred. Second, there's a known bug with Word
in which fragments from previous documents or versions of documents reappear
because they remain on the Clipboard: I'm fuzzy on the details, since this
hasn't yet happened to me, but you can find the details in Microsoft's
online knowledgebase, along with the solution (I believe a free software
patch is required). Third, "track changes" often gets confused if you aren't
displaying changes as you edit; in effect, the deleted text remains part of
the document until you accept the deletion, Word must remember to deal with
the invisible text, and Word (being a bear of very small brain) often gets
confused. I'd bet that the combination of concealed changes and "typing
replaces selection"* are at the root of your problem. I've seen enough
problems with editing without the changes highlighted that I recommend
always highlighting the changes as you edit, and concealing the changes only
when you want to do a final read-through of the edited document to catch any
glitches you missed because of the onscreen carnage. This approach avoids a
multitude of problems.

* In general, I recommend disabling "insert key toggles typeover mode"; it's
just as fast to select entire words or sentences from the keyboard (e.g.,
Command-Shift-Right Arrow key to select the entire word to the right of the
cursor position in a single step) and overtype it. This also makes the
author's job of reviewing your edits incomparably faster than having to
review dozens of single-character deletions. I've remapped my Insert key to
"Paste" instead (one of Word's preferences), which provides a far more
useful tool for the type of editing I do.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"Technical writing... requires understanding the audience, understanding
what activities the user wants to accomplish, and translating the often
idiosyncratic and unplanned design into something that appears to make
sense."--Donald Norman, The Invisible Computer