RE: TW and Photos -- a new tech solution?

Subject: RE: TW and Photos -- a new tech solution?
From: "Bayne, Sonia E B246" <Sonia -dot- Bayne -at- CIGNA -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:23:03 -0500

Belatedly, with digest lag:
In a recent thread started by Jonathan Soukoup about TW and photos, Mark
Emson lamented:
<snip>It seems that many of us 'Writers' end up as photographers and
illustrators
as well. I'm in the same position and would appreciate some advice.
Despite the convenience of digital photography and my best efforts, there
are a number of draw backs, with poor resolution being the greatest
problem.</snip>

My 2.2 cents:
I saved a recent story from our Connecticut paper, the Hartford Courant,
that describes a locally-developed software product called Lucis.
Paraphrasing here: Lucis is designed to play up or fine tune the contrast in
a digital image so that, for example, fingerprints are clearer, X-rays show
more detail, underexposed photos gain texture and details -- it's "a new was
of extracting detail from an image." The software takes advantage of a
computer's ability to detect far more levels of contrast than a human eye
can perceive, and does this without any additions or distortion. It is being
developed as a Photoshop plug-in. Originally developed at UConn Health
Center, it is apparently being used in forensics and medical research as
well as in artistic and recreational applications.

To see how Lucis changes an image, go to www.imagecontent.com. To purchase
(around $100), or get a 30-day trial version, go to www.lucisart.com.

Standard disclaimer: I have not used or tested Lucis, and have absolutely no
connection to it other than living in the state where it was developed!
Plus, it sounded like a really cool idea.

Regards,
Sonia Bayne
sonia -dot- bayne -at- cigna -dot- com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This e-mail transmission may contain confidential information. This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom it is intended even if addressed incorrectly. Please delete it from your files if you are not the intended recipient. Thank you for your compliance.