Re: OK, I'm paranoid! (Was: TWs and their work tools!)

Subject: Re: OK, I'm paranoid! (Was: TWs and their work tools!)
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:05:19 -0500

Brent -dot- Jones -at- Level3 -dot- com wrote:

> jkajpust -at- concentric -dot- net wrote on Saturday, January 27, 2001 10:21 PM:
>
> > As far as backups go, I have e-mailed copies of my work to my
> > home e-mail account just to make sure I have something floating
> > around in case my work machine crashes.
>
> Depending on your situation, and how sensitive the stuff you document is,
> this might get you in trouble. As a contractor, I never email any documents
> outside of the company unless it's explicitly permitted under the contract
> ... or OK'd by the manager.
>
> This might sound paranoid, but you'd be amazed how quickly 'having a backup
> copy of the doc at home' can turn into 'stealing $60,000,000 of proprietary
> information from the plaintiff.' ...

Yes. Don't do it without permission, preferably in writing.
Also, consider the security issues.

If you send unencrypted email from the work account, you -at- xyz -dot- com, to your home
account, you -at- my_isp -dot- net, then at a minimum it can be read by anyone with admin
privileges at my_isp.net. That includes any dishonest employee they might have
and any cracker who's managed to break in.

If you mail a revised draft back unencrypted, it can be read by anyone with
admin privileges on the corporate mail server. Yes, the company trusts its
admins, but perhaps not with details from inside your dep't.

In some cases, others may be able to read it as well. Anyone tapping your
phone line, admins at other ISPs if the mail is diverted there because one
of the main servers is down, anyone who steals your home machine, ...

None of these are enormous risks, but whether to take them is usually not
your decision. This is part of corporate security policy; violate it at
your peril.

Encrypting email is fairly straightforward. Use PGP, assuming security
policy allows that. One list of sources is at:

http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-1.8/doc/web.html#tools