Re: Break Into Telecommuting

Subject: Re: Break Into Telecommuting
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:46:50 -0800

Bob Morrisette wrote:

> We have drop-in centers where employees can use work stations
> in neighborhood offices. We are encouraging telecommuting, the
> goal being 1.5 employees per office seat. From what I have heard
> in Silicon Valley, the trend is for telecommuting. The alternative
> is much more expensive - build more buildings.

We have contracted for a number of companies over the past several years, and
most have allowed contractors to telecommute most of the time, and permanent
employees part of the time. In some companies, the problem is that they're
running out of office space for permanent employees, requiring that people double
up in office and work in cubicles set up in former hallways. In others, there's a
simple recognition that if there is an adequately provisioned home office and the
person can demonstrate the ability to be productive and timely using that home
office, the company gets good talent without the overhead of office space. Such
a deal!

Real estate is not the only consideration, though - the legendary commute
problems are another reason people like to work at home.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems