Re: TWs and their work tools!

Subject: Re: TWs and their work tools!
From: "C. Crowley" <cc5678 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 00:22:50 -0600

Re,

...my working facilities are quite a bit poorer than I anticipated.

This is normal.

After all, many engineers take their own tools with them...

I don't know about engineers, stonemasons did this in the middle ages. Unlike the rest of our ancestors (serfs), they could leave if they didn't like the job--hence the word "freemason," which was later adopted by the men's secret society.

Q1) Does any one else...find this sort of practice necessary?

Not necessary, but handy, for reasons identical to yours.

Q2) As well as a PC and software, what other personal stuff...

Color printer (photo quality) and CD burner.

Q3) What is the legal aspect of all this.What happens if my PC looses files,
gets stolen or breaks down before a full backup had been

Make backups every day! Jim suggested emailing the files to yourself. Depending on the level of confidentiality, you could upload them to a server. If it's an engineering company, maybe they have their own server you could get a login on. Otherwise, there's driveway.com. Or put linux on the antiquated machine the co. gave you and back up to it.

Q4) Can the company legally distribute work that has been created in
software that I own --- but they do not?

If a guy paid you to build a doghouse and you used your own saw to cut the boards, can he legally sell the doghouse to somebody else? I don't see why a manual would be any different.

Should I carry on in this way or is the company just failing in its
obligations and saving cash at my expense?

Yes, and yes. The drawback to all this is that you are putting wear and tear on your equipment and getting no pay for that. They are renting your equipment for £0.00/month. Draw up a document with monetary amounts on it, showing in hard figures things like: how much longer it takes to convert a Word file to PDF on the Compaq Pentium 90 than on your laptop.

My Lords and Ladies, I await your wise council.

I will now go back and add "Forsooth" to every paragraph above.

C. Crowley
cc5678 -at- hotmail -dot- com

Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp, producers of PDF 2001 Conference East, June 4-5, Baltimore/Washington D.C. area.