RE: Is TW Still Hospitable to Novices? A Dilemma

Subject: RE: Is TW Still Hospitable to Novices? A Dilemma
From: "McDonald, Nancy A." <NMcDonal -at- wcom -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 10:29:08 -0500

I agree wholeheartedly w/ Elna... as having had all those experiences, from
the "novice" to the contractor, to the hiring authority, working w/ HR
people in full-time an drecruiters in the contract house, I've seen it all.

In addition to Elna's ideas, I'd suggest checking out the regional STC job
bank.... I've posted positions myself, and I've wanted to hire "new"
writers, for several reasons... they're eager to learn, eager to work on
it, and willing to listen to the ways of this dept.

I would also research more companies in my location.... check out the small
technical business... more willing to hire newbies, because of the cheaper
cost...

Who you know counts, too... I myself started out because I talked to a
fellow church member who owns his minority-business (a group of system
analysts and an occasional tech writer) (gets govt clients that way)... and
he was willing to give me a try... that was the beginning. My friend
Barbara, also, was a freelance science/textbook writer who has been hired by
a local bio-tech company that cared more for her science knowledge than her
tech knowledge... she's learning about the techie part of it on-the-job..
Experiences like this can be had, the possibilities are out there.... good
luck and good hope w/ the search...
hth
Nancy McDonald
Sr. Project Manager