Hardware Technical Writing and Photos

Subject: Hardware Technical Writing and Photos
From: "Jonathan Soukup" <JSoukup -at- at-track -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:18:43 -0600

Today I was given the task of photographing a piece of hardware for another department in the company. I happen to do this all the time and I've always just considered part of my job, but the folks in the other department really didn't seem grasp the concept of taking your own photos (one guy was a trainer, the other person was a tech writer).

So this has got me to thinking. How many other hardware technical writers take pictures for their manuals and publications? Is this a common practice or do most folks simply hire a professional photographer to do this kind of thing?

Which brought me to another question? Is there such a thing as a technical photographer? Would it be possible to work as a contractor and be a technical photographer?

-Jonathan Soukup