Re: e-verything (was Web site or website)

Subject: Re: e-verything (was Web site or website)
From: "C. Crowley" <cc5678 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 01:30:01 -0600

Re,

... I like things that are easy
to type. For example, email is easier than e-mail; website or web site ....

Calling something a Web site rather than a website reminds me of these old usages:

'phone because it's short for telephone. However, they
did not feel obliged to write auto'

do n't, does n't instead of don't, doesn't

to-day, to-morrow why they did this, I don't know

Spelling is ideally based on pronunciation. In speech, it sounds more like website than web site (the capital W of course would not be audible).

Because World Wide Web is a proper noun, are words derived from it also proper nouns? Barnum & Bailey Circus is a proper noun. Do we therefore refer to something that was performed in it as a Circus act? Of course, there is more than one circus in the world. There are also lots of other communication networks besides the WWW, and the term "web" has been
informally used to refer to them, mostly as a metaphor, for a long time.

C. Crowley
cc5678 -at- hotmail -dot- com

Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp, producers of PDF 2001 Conference East, June 4-5, Baltimore/Washington D.C. area.