Typical Book Deal?

Subject: Typical Book Deal?
From: <puff -at- guild -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:03:39 -0500

Folks,

A friend has asked me for advice on a book deal.

He's a fairly accomplished programmer who's been approached by a
publisher about writing a programming book. He came to me for advice
about what kind of deal is typical, what percentage he should ask for,
etc.

I'm out of touch with writing for third party publication. Anybody
have any advice on this? Or URLs on the topic? Pointers to a good
agent?

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- guild -dot- net