RE: A HAT for the Mac

Subject: RE: A HAT for the Mac
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:23:57 -0800

Carter Campbell wrote:

| Could anyone recommend a decent HAT for the Mac?

I don't know of any true HATs for the Mac. Do you need to produce your Help
system on a Mac, or do you just need Mac users to be able to run it?

| I have to admit
| I am not
| that Mac software knowledgeable, so any help would be greatly
| appreciated. Failing that, does anyone know where I could get a fairly
| clear document on how to convert WebHELP to Mac Help?

I'm a little confused. Are you referring to the WebHelp you produce with
RoboHelp? If so, it runs on a Mac in Netscape or IE; there is no need to
convert it. If you are aiming to produce the Macintosh-specific online Help
format called Apple Help, then I think you're out-of-luck. There is no
automated process for converting from WebHelp to Apple Help. I don't believe
eHelp or Apple have documented a process for converting WebHelp to Apple
Help. I'm not aware of any documents that describe this process.

| My
| understanding is
| that they are not that different, one needs only to "register" the help
| files with the main help engine (or something). If it is a document, I
| would prefer something along the mushroom level of experience.

I'm no Apple Help wizard, but last time I looked, Apple Help was based on
HTML 3.2; I'm not sure it even supports JavaScript. WebHelp is based on HTML
4 and makes extensive use of Java applets, ActiveX controls, DHTML, and
JavaScript. This is by way of saying that I think WebHelp and Apple Help are
very different creatures.

Perhaps if you could say a little more about what you need to do, we could
offer more assistance. Is "Apple Help" what you are trying to produce? Are
you trying to avoid using WebHelp on the Macintosh even though it works on
that platform?

Regards,

D.

David Knopf (mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com)
Knopf Online (http://www.knopf.com)
Tel: 415.550.8367

RoboHELP MVP & Certified RoboHELP Instructor
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
Co-moderator, HATT & wwp-users