RE: Multiple pdfs from FrameMaker

Subject: RE: Multiple pdfs from FrameMaker
From: "Michele Marques" <marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:30:36 -0500

Jim McCallan asked:
> Is there a method or plug-in available that will allow me to create
> individual pdfs from a FrameMaker book file?
> I am using FM 5.6.

Yes. If you have a book file and want each chapter to be a separate PDF,
when you distill the book, specify that you want output to a file and after
the directory specification, indicate the file as *.ps -- it must have the
"*" in the place where you would normally indicate the file.

If you put your PS files into your "watched" folder (set up in Distiller),
then Distiller will automatically distill all those files into PDFs in one
swoop - but it is best to only start distiller after the postscript files
have been created, so it doesn't try to distill a file as it is being
created.

Also, if you have cross-references (or other links) between chapters, I
understand that you need to have each of those chapters open when you are
printing to Distiller - this will get the links to be generated as pointing
to the target location in chapter.pdf, otherwise they are created as
pointing to book.pdf.

Michele Marques
Technical Writer,
Autros Healthcare Solutions