Re: Slogans

Subject: Re: Slogans
From: Doug Isenberg <disenberg -at- GigaLaw -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 07:13:05 -0500

I'm wondering if any of you use a catchy slogan on your letterhead or
business cards. Mine is:

Successful Communications Through Planning (c)

I couldn't help but notice the "(c)" that was included at the end of this slogan. Was this intended to be a copyright symbol (the letter C in a circle)? If so, I'll point out that slogans are not protectable by copyright law in the United States. Rather, slogans can sometimes be protected by trademark law. If the slogan is not federally registered, the "TM" symbol (to identify trademarks for tangible goods) or "SM" symbol (to identify service marks for intangible services) may be used. If the slogan is federally registered in the United States, the circle-R symbol may be used.

For further reading on this topic, see the article on GigaLaw.com, "Basic Facts About Registering a Trademark," http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/pto-2000-04-p1.html

Doug Isenberg, Esq.
Editor & Publisher, GigaLaw.com
FREE daily Internet law news via e-mail! Subscribe at http://www.gigalaw.com/news/index.html

Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp, producers of PDF 2001 Conference East, June 4-5, Baltimore/Washington D.C. area.