Re: Frames and Compatibility (was: web admin duties)

Subject: Re: Frames and Compatibility (was: web admin duties)
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:48:20 -0800 (PST)

--- bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com wrote:
> Here is an easy workaround (provided that your page uses a
> navigation/text frame split).
>
> In the main frameset holder page include a link to the navigation bar
> page between the <NOFRAMES> tags. Then the reader would be able to
> open that navigation bar as the sole browser page and link to any of
> the other pages from there.
>
> If you have a logo as part of your frameset, you could also include
> that on individual pages inside <NOFRAMES> tags.
>
> This might not be the best looking way to approach the problem, but I
> would guess that appearance is not the top priority of anybody who is
> using a non-frame browser.

Yes, the suggestion above is but one of many possible ways to handle
some of the issues, but it still requires that I make the same changes
in more than one place, so it still looks like double work to me.

I don't agree that appearance is not an issue with people using a
non-frame browser. Appearance, particularly when it doesn't call
attention to itself, enhances the reading experience, in my opinion. If
my page is easy on the eyes and brain, users won't necessarily notice
it, unless they're sophisticated Techwhirlers, but it will help them.

I think you're missing the point about web accessibility. My reading
indicates that some people have difficulty processing (reading or
understanding) text displayed in a side-by-side fashion. (I'm gonna
guess this is a form of dyslexia or other cognitive disability.) For
them it is important to be able to access the information in a top-down
fashion. There are browsers out there that allow that, I'm told.

I'm just lazy enough that I don't want to make anymore work for myself
and just stubborn enough that I want my work as accessible as possible.

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems