What do you assume as basic audience vocabulary?

Subject: What do you assume as basic audience vocabulary?
From: "Kim McGarghan" <kmcgarghan -at- nssolutions -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:39:15 -0500

Not sure if I'm confused, complaining, or asking for advice.

We just published our interim technical manual, where we used the term
"initialize disk" rather than "format disk", especially since one of our
functions is labeled "Initialize Disk."

A few users have complained that we *should* have called this "format disk"
instead.

I will make sure that initialize/format references are cross-referenced in
the future, including in the index. [To my shame I admit that, since this
is first iteration and I've never done an index before, the interim manual
went out with detailed TOC but no index.] But this leads me to ask, what do
we assume is basic audience vocabulary? Our manual is aimed at the network
administrator who has at least one year's experience working in a Windows
environment.

Any ideas? comments?