RE: Value of design documents (was: New TECHWR-L Poll Question)

Subject: RE: Value of design documents (was: New TECHWR-L Poll Question)
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:31:30 -0700

re: I feel that conventions that require a "scholarly" writing style often
have more to do with snobbishness and professional conceit than anything
else.

I second that. I recall our engineers' reaction in the 1980s when
Information Mapping was attempted at the labs. Seems to me the degree and
the license are protection from others who might accidentally understand
some portion of the profession. I support licensing for sure and would only
play a doctor or engineer on TV. Too bad there appears little in the way of
degrees and licensing when it comes to producing science textbooks.