File synchronization in windows?

Subject: File synchronization in windows?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:22:43 -0500

Dannette Thompson is wondering how to <<... keep two files synchronized at
all times... I'm using RoboHelp HTML to create our online help system that
is distributed to clients. We use Clientele internally to track support
calls and maintain
an "answer book." However, we want to be able to link certain answer book
pages to HTML files that are in my RoboHelp project. Unfortunately, when you
attach a file to an answer book page in Clientele, it makes a copy of the
file. There is no way to maintain that live link.>>

Have you tried attaching a "shortcut" ("alias" if you're a Mac user) to
Clientele instead of the actual file? It doesn't matter if Clientele creates
a duplicate of the shortcut, since the original file is untouched. So long
as you don't move that original file, the shortcut should continue to work
just fine.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"Technical writing... requires understanding the audience, understanding
what activities the user wants to accomplish, and translating the often
idiosyncratic and unplanned design into something that appears to make
sense."--Donald Norman, The Invisible Computer