Re: File Synchronization in Windows

Subject: Re: File Synchronization in Windows
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:25:43 -0800 (PST)

Dannette...I use something that does something similar, but not quite
what you are looking for.

I use a program called Fastmove from Checkit that allows me to see
any two directories side by side on my screen. These two directories
could be the same computer, my local drive and a network drive, or my
desktop machine and my portable when connected by parallel
cable(which is why I got it).

Periodically, (when I come in, before lunch, and just before I leave
at night), I select a profile from a menu which is configured to show
my Help project on my laptop, where I do my work, and the same
project on my desktop computer, where I keep a backup set of files.
With a click of a button, it compares the two directories and
transfers all files that have changed from my laptop to my desktop.

As long as you don't need it done automatically, this might work.
However, it won't rename the files automatically.

It would seem that you should be able to do this with a small batch
file applied against a key stroke combination. You don't want it done
without some user prompt as what tells it when a file is finished and
should be moved, vs just saved but not ready for transfer.

--- Dannette Thompson <dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com> wrote:
> (Cross-posted to several lists)
>
> Hi all --
> With all your wisdom, I'm wondering if anyone on this list is aware
> of a
> Windows utility that will allow me to keep two files synchronized
> at all times.
>
> Here's the situation:
> I'm using RoboHelp HTML to create our online help system that is
> distributed
> to clients. We use Clientele internally to track support calls and
> maintain
> an "answer book." However, we want to be able to link certain
> answer book
> pages to HTML files that are in my RoboHelp project. Unfortunately,
> when you
> attach a file to an answer book page in Clientele, it makes a copy
> of the file. There is no way to maintain that live link.
> So... I'm wondering if there's a utility that will take that HTML
> file and
> make the copy of it in the Clientele folder always match it. In
> other words,
> I make changes to the HTML file, and it copies that file (with a
> rename) to the Clientele folder automatically.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"How to be happy in life: Never impose your beliefs
on anyone else and never fry bacon in the nude."
-- Anon

http://photos.yahoo.com/