Re: Requirements

Subject: Re: Requirements
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 12:13:35 -0800

"Le Vie, DonaldX S" wrote:

> Yes, I totally agree. Too many people go into interviews with the wrong
> mindset. Nearly every time I've gone in to an interview with the mindset
> that "I'm going to control the pace and flow of the interview," I got the
> job or contract. I think maybe such an attitude comes with a certain sense
> of maturity and comfort with your knowledge base, skill set, and
> experience...not to mention problem-solving ability.

Either that, or cynicism, or sheer bloody-mindedness :-)

A large chunk of me still thinks that it's ridiculous to have to
play that game. Everyone knows that an exchange of work for cash is
being proposed, so why can't we just get on with it?

Another part of me murmurs that interviewers who try to stump me are
control freaks. In the past, I've suffered under this kind of
sadist, so now I'm damned if I'm going to blink first when faced
with another one. At one interview, I fended off every possible
rudeness, only to be told at the end, "You'll do, I guess." "Well,
you won't," I replied (for once in my life getting off a
satisfactory reply on time instead of thinking of it three hours
later).

Fortunately, these reactions are rarely dominant, or I'd probably
never find a job at all :-)

But that's a contractor for you. A few years of working for yourself
and you don't just have a chip on your shoulder; you have a whole
lumber yard.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Her father came of tinker stock, baptized by flowing water,
Old Jack, he was disposed to roam and so his only daughter,
And me a lad of seventeen, I left my parent's home,
For Jenny Byrce, Jack the Rover's daughter."
-James Keelaghan, "Jenny Byrce"