RE: Industry Standard?

Subject: RE: Industry Standard?
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:49:06 -0700

Subject: Industry Standard?
From: Deborah Cooper <dcooper -at- edispatch -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:02:26 -0800

> I'm curious to know if FrameMaker, Word, or some other package is
the
> industry standard for TW's? Your input is appreciated! Thanks.

As one final shot at this topic, if you are looking for the best word
processing packages in which to develop expertise, (i.e., make
yourself most employable), then maybe I can offer the following
observations.

Over the past year, I've been collecting data from help wanted ads up
here in Canada and a few related sources. The current sample size is
a just over 200 entries. The two most common packages employers are
asking applicants to have are FrameMaker and Word.

This is consistent with the results of a recent STC Alberta Chapter
member survey which places both Word and FrameMaker in the top three
most commonly used tools.

If on-line help is your bag, it wouldn't hurt to develop skill in
RoboHelp. It made the top three in the STC survey mentioned above,
and is the clear leader in my database.

--

John Fleming
Technical Writer