Erratic search results in Adobe Catalog index

Subject: Erratic search results in Adobe Catalog index
From: "Mike Hiatt" <mhiatt -at- vocaldata -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 10:38:56 -0600

Cross posted to the frame lists and techwr-l

I have a problem with the Acrobat Catalog application that I haven't been
able to figure out and Docucentric wasn't able to figure out either. This
worked fine in three previous document libraries (V1.0, V1.01 and V1.02),
but seems to have broken in the current one. I'm afraid it will also be
broken in the next one.

We have a library of documents in a folder labeled Doc. Each document has
it's own folder under the Doc folder. This is about the third iteration of
this index under Visual Source Safe.

When we search for AD-1, NB-12 and VG-2, we don't see the documents for
those items in the results list. However, if we search for AD1, NB12 and
VG2, we do see the Model AD-1 Tech Spec & Install Manual in the results box.
Same for NB-12 and VG-2 documents. However, the CP-16 Conference Bridge
works just fine. Search for CP-16 and Model CP-16 Tech Spec etc. shows up in
the search results.

I've deleted and rebuilt the directory numerous times and it still doesn't
work. I thought maybe the dash or hyphen was the wrong kind for some reason,
so I replaced the dash/hyphen in the AD-1 document. No change.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat 4.05a and no change.

Next I'm going to delete the directory I use for burning CDs and rebuild the
directory from scratch, but I'll use the PS files from my frame docs and see
if I can reconstruct the directory from scratch and get it to work. I'm
almost afraid that something is hosed in the Frame docs that is carrying
through the PDFs.

Mike Hiatt
Manager, Tech Pubs
VocalData, Inc.